The carpets in your house or office may suffer from lots of wear and tear regularly. They usually get spoiled due to traffic lanes, discoloration, stains and this kind of damage can be the reason why you need to replace them. Are you aware that carpets should be given professional cleaning otherwise, they won’t be able to withstand the passage of time? By doing regular cleaning, you can retain the look and feel of your carpets for a longer time. It is extremely important that you keep the carpets clean and tidy. Below are discussed 10 facts to clean dirty carpets that you do need to know.
1. Carpets attract lots of dirt and greasy residue – The oily residue from different rooms in your house and family pets are carried in from outside and gets dried on the carpet. This residue “locks-in” dirt and attracts the carpet fibers. This diet may change the carpet color and if left, this can be the reason for unsightly traffic lanes and get permanent.
2. Sandy soil tears the carpet apart – If you have been close with the carpet and parted pile, then you will find a sandpit of soil in the carpet that cannot be reached easily. This dirt is not visible but grinding your carpet and upholstery away every time you sit or walk on the carpets.
3. Your carpets could harbor germs and make you sick – Your carpet performs a valuable job by acting in the form of a filter, trap damaging air pollutants such as – bacteria, pollen, fungi, chemicals, tars, cigarette smoke and residues. When the carpet becomes “full”, it cannot hold or trap the air pollutants. These trapped pollutants can be removed only through professional carpet cleaning.
4. Bad news for the sufferers of allergy, asthma, eczema, and rhinitis – Carpets may get infested with dust mites whose droppings can be the reason for asthma attacks and even hold allergy-inflaming proteins that may cause eczema, asthma, and rhinitis attacks. Nowadays, people are looking for a suitable solution to their problems. People who suffer from environmental allergies can face serious health concerns. In fact, dirty carpets may cause health problems to strong and healthy people too.
5. Carpets can become heavy due to dirt – Carpets can hold all the dust, dirt, pet urine, hair, dead skin cells, bacteria, mold, organic compounds, insect feces, husks, and other kinds of allergies. It is extremely essential to clean the carpets daily and vacuum at least once or twice a week. Make sure you get the carpets cleaned by professionals to ensure all the allergens can be eliminated from its fibers.
6. Skip away with the 5-second rule – Your carpets can become dirt and most people have the habit of throwing food on them. You need to forget the 5-second rule and bacteria may stay over there for almost four weeks in the carpets which can get on your food too.
7. Remove the shoes when walking on the carpet – Most people walk on the carpets by wearing their outdoor shoes. This will get hold of the dirt inside your house, grind it into the carpet, and vacuum to eliminate it completely. It is quite common for people to move furniture and hide the stains into the carpets then cleaning them. Spills need to be cleaned immediately in order to avoid stains from occurring.
8. The Norovirus – Norovirus or Norwalk virus may lead to several symptoms that are quite similar to food poisoning or stomach flu. It will remain in the carpets for four to six weeks and becomes airborne when people walk or roll across it.
9. More bugs than the toilet seat – Carpeting seems to be a great flooring option for your house. It adds comfort, warmth and feels good when you walk on bare feet. Due to the huge traffic it encounters, the carpets start becoming dirty over time. This actually turns into a germ hotspot and can be extremely dirtier than your toilet seat in case you do not clean them regularly.
10. Clean the carpets daily – You should wash the carpets regularly so that you can retain their color and they may last for many years. Most people generally ignore the dirt, dust, and germs that are there in the carpets. If you really want to eliminate unwanted bacteria and other pollutants from the carpet, there are two options – DIY and professionals. The professionals can eliminate almost 98 percent of dirt and pollutants from carpets but when you do it once in six months, a lot of bacteria might be there on your carpets.
How often should you clean the carpets?
It is suggested that your carpets are cleaned by qualified professionals every 6 months. They need to be cleaned on a daily basis and before they are soiled heavily otherwise, it will lessen the life of your carpet. Vacuuming is just not enough as the carpets should be deep cleaned every six months. These will double the life expectancy of your carpet. With thorough cleaning, you can restore the look of your carpet and reduce wear to the pile by extending its lifespan.
Damaging effects of dirt and dust on the carpet
Carpets can get damaged easily when you do not take proper care of them. Vacuuming will clear the top layer of dirt and grime away, however; the deep-down grit will wear away any stain-resistance that cut at carpet fibers when you walk on the high traffic areas. If you do not take care of the carpets, they may lead to the loss of fiber and so, hiring professionals can prolong the overall life of the carpet.
For most carpets, the best carpet cleaning in London comes from a non-toxic and safe solution that uses carbonation than harsh chemicals. Thus, with regular deep-cleaning, you can remove dirt, dust, allergens, and grime and also add more years of life to the carpet by removing abrasive grit that can be harmful to the fibers.