Spring is just around the corner! The month of enjoying sunny hours, greener gardens and the fresh breeze is here. But what about the millions of pollen released in the air causing seasonal allergies? With the pumping pollen counts, many of us will suffer from the scratchy eyes and runny noses. The problem can become severe, especially if you are living in a city like Islamabad where the highest pollen counts are recorded. Developing these symptoms, allergy sufferers will head straight to the best allergy specialist in Islamabad for curing the problem. There exists no permanent cure for seasonal allergies but there are many things that can limit the problem. Here. we’ve put together all you need to know about allergies and 6 ways to prevent seasonal allergies.
What are allergies?
Allergies are basically the immune system response against certain substances. Your immune system is basically your first line of defence against diseases. However, in some cases, the immune system mistakenly perceives an invader as the harmful object generating an immune response against it. These foreign substances identified by the immune systems are known as allergens.
Different types of allergies
Some of the common allergies are;
• Food allergy
• Mold allergy
• Pollen allergy
• Pet allergy
• Medicine allergy
• Insect allergy
• Drug allergy
• Latex allergy
Common symptoms of allergies
Allergies are quite common and their symptoms can range from mild to severe. The symptoms and severity vary from person to person, depending upon the kind of allergy. Some of the common symptoms of allergies are;
• Sneezing, blocked or runny nose
• Wheezing, cough, chest tightness
• Itchy, watery eyes
• Inflammation on face
• Vomiting, diarrhoea
• Cracked or dry skin
How to prevent allergies?
Although it is impossible to cure allergies, certain ways can help to manage them better. Some of the ways to manage your allergies are;
1. Avoid allergens
Rather than curing your allergies, it is always better to prevent them by avoiding your potential allergens. But to avoid your allergen, you need to identify your allergies first. For instance, if you are a pollen allergy sufferer you might notice the symptoms even before the pollen season starts.
Here are the few things that you can do to avoid pollens
• Check daily pollen rankings of allergens from all the potential sources
• Staying indoors when the pollen count for the particular allergen is high or on windy days
• Keeping your doors and windows close when the counts are high
• Immediately removing the clothes you wore outside and taking a shower
• Avoid hanging your laundry outside
• Wearing a pollen mask while going outside
2. Wear a medical alert sign
If you are among unfamiliar people or travelling on a daily basis, it is safe to wear a medical warning bracelet or a necklace. This can help to understand your condition if you are having an allergy attack and they can respond immediately.
3. Keep your sinuses clean
Your nose works as the car windshield and allergen can stick into it. The allergens trapped in the nasal passage can induce allergic reactions. However, the solution to this problem is quite easy; you can rinse your nasal passages with a saline rinse solution. This can help to wash away allergens and other irritants, keeping your sinuses as free as possible.
4. Take medications
While you are trying several home remedies to prevent allergies, don’t forget to take your medicines. Allergy medicines can help to manage allergy symptoms. Several nonprescription medications can help to relieve the symptoms. These include;
• Oral antihistamines- to relieve the symptoms related to watery eyes, sneezing, itchy and runny nose
• Nasal sprays- to reduce nasal congestion, sneezing and other allergy symptoms
• Oral decongestants- edible decongestants help to relieve the nasal congestion and sinus pressure
• Combination medicines- these medicines combine antihistamines with the decongestant to provide better protection
5. Visit a doctor
Avoiding allergens and using over the counter medicines is sufficient for many while others still need proper treatment. So, it is advisable to visit a good doctor if your symptoms are not relieved over time. If you are visiting Islamabad and suffering from the pollen allergy, you can find the best medical facilities in many healthcare centres including Mediks Hospital, Maryam hospital Islamabad, and MEDICSI etc.
6. Clean accordingly
Unknowingly some of the allergens such as dust mites can be present in your own house. Therefore, it is necessary to clean accordingly to prevent those allergies. For instance, if you are allergic to dust mites, here are the few things you can try;
• Using allergen-proof bedding that prevents the mites from colonizing
• Frequently washing your bedding using hot water
• Maintaining a relatively low humidity level in your house
• Removing dust and vacuuming regularly
All these tips can help you to prevent the allergies or at least in relieving the symptoms. Depending upon your allergies, you can take several preventive measures and can enjoy a sneeze-free pollen season.