Are you thinking about whether to use HPS or LED lights in your grow? If so, you’re not alone. This is among the most common marijuana cultivation questions. There have been a lot of misconceptions over the years as to which option is the superior pick. You’ll find proponents on both sides of the spectrum. Hence all the confusion.
The fact is that technology has changed significantly. Growing lights have improved leaps and bounds, even within the last five years. So what was true in the past might not hold true today. Both HPS and LED lights have their advantages and disadvantages.
If you’re asking yourself which choice is right for you, read on.
HPS Grow Lights
HPS, or High Pressure Sodium lights are capable of generating a large quantity of light. As a matter of fact, a lot of growers preferred HPS lights for years because of this. Light is essential during the flowering phase and has been known to increase yield at harvest. The high intensity of HPS grow lights can create an ideal environment for cannabis flowering.
HPS lights are also comparatively inexpensive to install. However, on the flipside, the high-intensity output of High Pressure Sodium lights produces a lot of heat. In many cases, using HPS grow lights requires additional ventilation for sufficient airflow. This can raise costs significantly. On top of that, the high-intensity light consumes a huge amount of energy, driving up costs while also leading to more environmental damage.
Advantages of HPS Grow Lights
- HPS grow lights are capable of producing an intense amount of light, which can increase marijuana flowering.
- There are a wide range of HPS grow lights available, so choices have become more standardized.
- The initial start-up costs are lower with HPS grow lights than LED lights.
Disadvantages of HPS Grow Lights
- HPS grow lights require more power and are less energy efficient than LED lights.
- HPS grow lights have a shorter shelf life in comparison to LED lights.
- The intense lighting of HPS makes adequate airflow and ventilation essential.
- Setting the optimal temperature can be challenging, particularly in confined spaces.
- HPS grow lights increase costs substantially in the long-term
LED Grow Lights
But today you will find LED lights at some of the biggest commercial cannabis grows. In comparison to HPS lights, LED grow lights are extremely energy efficient. High quality LED grow lights can produce comparable yields to HPS grow lights using significantly less energy. Therefore, a lot of marijuana cultivators consider LED lights to be an environmentally friendlier choice for indoor growing.
They also happen to be cost-effective. Although LED grow lights have a tendency to have higher upfront costs than HPS lights, they provide long-term savings. The prolonged life expectancy of LED lights means you will not be regularly shoveling your money into replacements.
Advantages of LED Grow Lights
- LED grow lights are more energy efficient. They generate the same amount of light as HPS lights yet consume substantially less energy.
- LED grow lights do not produce as much heat as HPS lights, avoiding the need for additional ventilation or airflow systems.
- LED grow lights are smaller than HPS lights, making the most of grow space.
- LED grow lights feature an impressive shelf life.
Disadvantages of LED Grow Lights
- LED grow lights require a greater upfront financial investment. However, they can lower costs in the long run due to their extensive shelf life.
- LED grow lights might not produce enough heat as HPS lights for colder climates
- LED lights lack standardization, which makes comparing choices more challenging.
Which Choice is Better?
Should you be using HPS or LED grow lights? Both choices have merit. There are advantages and disadvantages of each. However, unless you are growing in frigid temperatures, you’re better off using LED lights. There are just more benefits. LED lights provide long-term cost savings, energy efficiency, and do not require extra equipment.
While the upfront cost of LED lights does have a tendency to be greater than HPS lights– you may be shocked by just how cost-efficient top quality options have become. The market has increased enough that you’ll find a wide range of choices available. With long-term savings, investing in a quality LED lighting system is the way to go. Whether you need Growers Choice LED lights for a massive grow or small operation, we have something to fit your needs!
- About the Author
Alex Grigoryan is a Professional Home Improvement and Lifestyle Writer. He has been in the industry for over 6 years and has been writing for Chique Home Living since 2019. His work has been featured in prestigious blogs such as Spruce Home, Better Homes & Garden, and more.