Do You Qualify for Compensation from The Camp Lejeune Water Contamination?

Scientific evidence shows that the water in Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune was contaminated with cancer-causing organic compounds between 1953 and 1987.

While those who suffered cancer or other severe health conditions while serving at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River during this period found it challenging to recover compensation initially, things are now changing. Since Congress passed the historic Camp Lejeune Justice Act 2022, victims of the dangerous Camp Lejeune water can now start pursuing compensation.


But, Who Qualifies for Compensation From the Camp Lejeune Water Contamination?

According to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, if you were a veteran, reservist, or guardsman at Camp Lejeune, you may qualify for compensation. However, you must have served at the base for at least 30 days between August 1953 and December 1987.

Compensation for Camp Lejeune water contamination covers at least one of the conditions listed in this Dolman Law’s article published on 8th July 2022. These conditions include bladder, kidney, and liver cancers, adult leukemia, multiple myeloma, Parkinson’s disease, aplastic anemia, and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Unfortunately, if you received a dishonorable discharge from the military, you may not be eligible for compensation.

Do Family Members of the Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Veterans Qualify for Compensation?

Yes, family members of veterans, guardsmen, or reservists who served at Camp Lejeune may also be able to recover benefits for any health condition related to the contaminated water. Recoverable damages for family members include out-of-pocket healthcare expenses related to 15 conditions, including breast cancer, female infertility, miscarriage, and kidney cancer.

However, you will need to prove your relationship to the serviceperson who actively served at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days. Things will be easy for you if you have a birth certificate, marriage certificate, adoption papers, or any other document linking you to the veteran.

You must also provide evidence proving that you lived at Camp Lejeune for a minimum of 30 days between 1st August 1953 and 30th December 1987. Documents such as tax forms, utility bills, and military orders might serve as evidence.

Lastly, you must attach medical records proving that you were diagnosed with any of the 15 health conditions related to the Camp Lejeune water contamination. The record should state when you were diagnosed with the condition and show that you received treatment.

Filing a Camp Lejeune Water Compensation Claim

Once you establish your eligibility for Camp Lejeune water contamination compensation, your next step should be filing a claim.

The Veterans Affairs (VA) website provides the process you can follow to ensure your claim goes through fast and successfully. Most importantly, the VA requires you to provide any proof supporting your claim within one year from the date you started pursuing your compensation.

So, ensure you collect every necessary piece of evidence on time to avoid complications down the road. Once you have all the evidence, you can file your compensation claim online, via email, or take it in person.

Do You Need an Attorney to File a Camp Lejeune Water Compensation Claim?

While you can file a claim without a lawyer, having an attorney on your case is advisable. An attorney who has experience in the VA claims process can offer guidance on the best route you can take to pursue your water-contamination claim.

Moreover, a skillful lawyer will help you gather all the documents you need for your claim, including medical records and proof of presence documentation. When you have all these in place, the VA will process your claim faster, helping you get your compensation on time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *