If you are preparing to enter the home selling process, you probably just want to get it over with as quickly as possible. After all, selling a house frequently tops the list of most stressful life experiences that a person can go through. There’s the endless staging, the constantly raised hopes and disappointment, and the brutal, piecemeal negotiation with dozens of parties.
Then there is the endless paperwork, legal haggling, and often life-disrupting renovations needed to get your house in a saleable condition. If all of this doesn’t sound ideal, you are probably asking yourself, “how long does it take to sell a house?”. Read on to find out.
1. How Long Does It Take to Sell a House?
So, let’s get right down to it. Accordingly to the prevailing research for 2021, the average time it takes to sell a house in America is anything between 65 and 93 days. However, that is not the full story. In some of the hottest US markets right now, such as upstate New York and Houston, Texas, the average time is closer to 25 days.
Meanwhile, sluggish markets such as Georgia and Alabama are seeing sale times that are well above the 100-day mark. All told, it can take you 1 day or 1000 days to sell your house, since such a huge multitude of factors are at play.
2. The Key Factors in the Home Selling Process
Selling a house fast depends on many factors. Knowing how to sell a home speedily means paying attention to the “drag” factors that will slow you down if you don’t address them. These are:
- Location: you can’t really change this one, but selling a house quickly depends on location more than any other factor. That’s why you should aim to emphasize the positive aspects of your location above all else.
- Curb appeal: how your house looks on the outside still matters. Work on your curb appeal if you want to sell your house fast.
- Pricing: this sounds obvious, but realistic pricing that is in tune with the current market is one of the best home selling tips we can offer.
- Condition: everybody wants a turnkey property, so fix up those holes in the wall if you want to sell your house fast.
3. How to Sell a Home Fast
Selling a home fast depends on more than just eliminating the “drag” factors discussed above. Here’s what you can do if your priority is to sell up as quickly as possible:
- Opt for an instant buyer: you can opt for an instant cash buyer who will buy your home within a single day, simply by using a reputable sell my house service that can get you the right price for your home.
- Market aggressively: sales success is all about visibility. Go all out with your marketing and list your home anywhere and everywhere.
- Arrange a full inspection: arrange for a professional house inspection to find out any issues for yourself and come up with a competitive price that meets your goals.
Your Real Estate Questions, Answered
Now that you know how to speed up the home selling process, it is time to get started. For tips on renovations, inspections, marketing, and all the rest, we have got you covered. Make sure to consult our dedicated home guides to learn more.