As a homeowner, you may find it difficult to save money while operating your household as normal. Instead of focusing on small things that you have to put effort towards in order to save money, you should consider making money-saving home improvements instead. Below are a few examples of different money-saving home improvement tips that you can make today.
Adding Attic Insulation
Attic insulation is one of the best tactics to use to save on home improvements. They save on costs and expenses one can use. According to a study, attic insulation saves up to $600 on power annually.
Ditch Incandescent Lights
Installing energy-efficient light bulbs saves more on power and expenses. They save up to $75 annually and last longer those incandescent lights. The LED lights and CFL are the best energy-efficient lights.
Getting a Low-Flow Showerhead
Most homeowners are against the idea of low-flow showerheads. However, replacing a showerhead to be used by at least four occupants saves up to $75 annually, and it’s better for the environment as well.
Install a Programmable Thermostat
Installing a thermostat does not need one to use a fancy expensive one. If one wants a reliable thermostat that can be programmed in a manner that keeps the house warm in winter and cool in summer then this is the best option. There are many companies one can save and even the installation charges are free.
Use Energy-Efficient Appliances
Appliance evolves daily, it is only up to the homeowner to decide on the best appliances to buy. Many companies have offers on these appliances that make homeowners save up to $600 annually. Look for Energy Star-rated appliances when you’re looking for any replacements for your home. That distinction means that they use less energy and are better for the environment and your home’s energy consumption.
Make Sure Your Basic Home Systems Are Working Right
Making sure the home appliance is working just fine depends on the homeowners. The homeowner must be responsible and do regular inspections on the appliances. When problems seem to occur he should call in a professional and sort them out before it’s too late.
Air conditioners may sometimes fail to work without any warning, this leaves homeowners in shock and frustrated. If you’re comfortable working with the electrical appliance, you might decide to try and fix the solution before it escalates. However, don’t hesitate to contact AC repair experts if you aren’t sure what to do.
Fixing the AC yourself can lead to saving both money and time, making this one of the greatest money-saving home improvements. The following are basic steps to fix your AC:
- Shut off the power from the main switch.
- Cleaning the condenser coils to remove and debris available.
- Test the fuses if they are not working install new ones.
- Inspect the access panel inside.
- Discharging the dual start.
- Swap the AC contractor.
- Replace the fan motor.
If you’re having issues with your electricity, you should contact your local electrician. Electricians specialize in wiring buildings, transmission lines, machines, and other electric equipment. They may be contracted to install the new electrical component or repairs.
Roles of an electrician include:
- Reading blueprints and technical diagrams.
- Installing and maintaining wiring.
- Inspecting electrical components like transformers and circuit breakers.
- Identifying electrical problems and finding appropriate solutions.
Inspect and Repair Your Roof
Homes are supposed to be the safest place roof play a key role in facilitating this. If you have a damaged roof, you may end up spending a lot on repairs, making this type of maintenance one of the best money-saving home improvements. Here are the signs to note that show it may be time for a residential roof repair.
- Structural repairs consist of gutter systems, roof caps, and roof planes.
- Material repairs include rust, stained shingles
- Interior repairs, leaks, water damage to ceilings
Roof inspections are supposed to be done after the winter periods. If there are any leaks are repaired by a roofer as quickly as possible.
The following are some precautions to be taken when doing inspections:
- Make sure the roof is not wet.
- Secure the ladder to prevent slipping.
- Use both hands while climbing the roof.
- Wear a helmet to protect the head.
The following are tips for a roof inspection.
- Look for buckling, curling, and blistering shingles.
- Look for spots around chimneys, and pipes.
- Identify excess shingle granules in the gutters.
- Check for any soft spots on roofs.
You can also consider getting rubber roofing. This is a new type of technology where roofs are made from recycled tires and sawdust. This reduces the permeability of the roof, which leads to less leaking. The roofing is strong, pliant, and waterproof.
The following are some of the benefits of rubber roofing:
- Longer lifespan.
Make Sure You Have the Best Garbage Service
Signing up for the best garbage pickup service helps most homeowners live a comfortable lifestyle. One must make sure that the garbage service picked is cheap and affordable
The following are some of the services offered by the best garbage pickup services:
- Curbside garbage pickups.
- Junk removal services.
- Bulk residential pickup.
- Home construction debris removal
- Dumpster rentals.
When you’re considering your garbage removal options, make sure to get recycling services as well, since recycling and reusing materials can have many benefits, including:
- Helps in space organization.
- Makes sure that the landscape is cleaned.
- Promotes both human and animal health and sanitization.
- Reduced the rates of pest and disease infestation.
- Protects people from biohazards.
- Improves the general health of the community.
- Protection of the entire environment.
- Makes sure of physical safety.
- Energy generations scaled up after recycling.
- Earns homeowners extra cash after the sale of recycled products.
Opt For Concrete For Outdoor Spaces
Concrete material is ideal for any garden space because it can be poured to form any shape. This makes it easier to create winding pathways and other exterior designs. The following are some ideas to help you use concrete in your outdoor spaces:
- Easy pavers.
Pavers made of concrete are available in many shapes, colors, and textures. They can easily be placed on sands that are backed. If one admires plants growing in-between spaces, pavers are the best option for this.
- Indian canyons.
This is mainly done in desert communities with little rainfall, hot temperatures, and sun. The yards are made hard scape rather than a soft cape.
- Poured in space.
The concrete slabs are poured into a large space and then acid washed. Some strips of green cover are left to grow.
- Nice pads.
The concrete slab is acid- washed, and naturally poured mixed with thyme and scotch covers. Most are designed by falling water landscape.
A concrete contractor is someone that builds structure from concrete, they mix ingredients in building to form structures desired by the homeowners. The following are some steps on choosing an ideal contractor:
- Do enough research from the internet, some can decide to ask from neighbors and friends.
- Look for a contractor with at least five years’ experience in doing the job.
- Verify the insurance of the contractor, in case of accidents on the job sites.
- Ask for viable contact references.
- Compare how much each different contractors charge.
Be Smart About Additions
If one needs more space in the home, it is not advisable to seek another house. Home additions increase the value of homes and increase livable square footage and can end up being great money-saving home improvements if you think them through properly. Many ways greatly impact the home comfort plan.
The following are some of the additions that you can add:
- Also of glass walls, this is where the whole wall from the floor-ceiling is windowed, the designs give a natural view with stunning natural light.
- Also welcome guests, the finished spaces always give guests easy access to outdoor areas.
- Second-floor bathroom addition, this is where a second story is created for bathroom space giving it a luxurious look.
- Kitchen bumps up, this brings tremendous impacts on the home footprint. It adds a more spacious cabinet.
- A new enclosed porch requires integrity and cautiousness when doing it.
Check Your Insurance
Home accidents happen all the time, electric fault or theft. Having the right insurance policy by the right company gives the most homeowner the much-needed comfort they deserve.
The following are some steps to consider before choosing and a home insurance policy.
Insurance Company History and Reputation
The following are some things one should learn after checking insurance history:
- The experience they have.
- The mission, values, and vision.
- Community involvement.
- The products and services sold.
- Company Leadership
Knowing that the insurance company is financially able to pay a claim you make brings confidence to every homeowner. Thus it is advisable to be sure that the insurance company is capable.
The lower the price charged is the higher the risk when obtaining an insurance cover. Hence one should check with the agent to know all the details.
Ease of Doing Business
The following are the best and right interactions that best insurance companies must have:
- Online report of claims.
- 24-7 customer service delivery.
- Policy changes.
- Billing questions.
- Social media platforms
Insurance companies must have discounts, the following are some of them:
- Protective devices.
- Financial stability.
- Multi-car families.
- Specialized construction material and methods.
Price Check Contractors and Their Quotes
Quotes are something that contractors get from suppliers for the price of materials needed for the job and how much they think that the work will cost. Quotes are good for a specified number of times. This means that builders only have a certain time to buy materials at a certain price. Quotes are subject to expire because materials are commodities and hence subject to price fluctuations.
For example, you may get a quote from a contractor and determine that because the DIY option for a bath tub installation will cost much less than having a contractor install it.
Make sure that if you decide to go the DIY route that you do your proper online research to make sure you’re actually making money-saving home improvements and not creating something that will be a problem in the future. Following the tub example, here’s a guide for installing a tub on your own if you decide to do so:
- Remove the showerhead, tub spout, and faucet- Done by first prying the plastic cover off the faucet, the screws that hold the handle, and the trim plate are removed. The tub over flower cover and tub spout is also unscrewed.
- Tearing the old tab surrounding- Drywall that is slightly outside the old surrounding edge is cut with a sharp knife. Then scored several times until the blade slices are through.
- Installing the new bathtub– Set the back panel into place and then followed by the side panels. Protruding studs then chisel off and the drywall should also be trimmed.
- Surround the installation detail– Making a good wall finish requires attention and a much-needed experience. Cleaning of the painted wall is done before the tilling process.
- Install finished plumbing– This is done by fixing the faucet trim. The cover plate and valve handle are then attached.
Make a Home Gym
If you find yourself paying a lot for a monthly gym membership that you can’t use because of the fact that you don’t get to the gym as much as you want, a home gym may be the best option for you when it comes to making money-saving home improvements. However, home gyms can get pricy if you’re not careful. Here are some ideas to help you keep your home gym on a budget:
- Buy used equipment.
- Build own equipment.
- Buy new equipment from cheap providers.
Buy Used Equipment When Possible
This is considered the cheapest way to building a piece of home equipment. The best place to find this is o the Facebook marketplace. The prices are amazing and one can create an easy and fast connection with the seller.
These sites are supposed to be checked frequently as prices do change according to seasons and demand.
Build Your Own Equipment
Building a home gym on DIY saves costs and cuts on expenses spent buying a new one. the following are some of the best home gyms to build.
The following are the right equipment’s one should have when building a gym:
- An adjustable bench.
- Pull-up bar.
- Resistance bands.
- Exercise mat.
Look For Deals on New Equipment
Buying new gym equipment from cheap providers is also cost-effective. Whether that means installing epoxy flooring in your garage for your gym or just looking for a good deal on a treadmill, here are the tips for buying new equipment at a good price:
- Know the various gym equipment and uses before purchasing them.
- Determine and assess your gym space.
- Calculate the budget and amount of money needed to purchase.
- Choose the best fitness equipment that is reliable.
- Look for warranties and maintenance offers.
When it comes to money-saving home improvements, you have many options to help you make your home a cheaper place to live. By making these money-saving home improvements you’ll be giving yourself the chance to save up for other important things in your life, like traveling or going out to eat.
Are you considering any of these money-saving home improvements? If so, which ones? Let us know in the comments!
- About the Author
Alex Grigoryan is a Professional Home Improvement and Lifestyle Writer. He has been in the industry for over 6 years and has been writing for Chique Home Living since 2019. His work has been featured in prestigious blogs such as Spruce Home, Better Homes & Garden, and more.