You need to be aware that more than 60% of crop yields depend on soil fertility. For any yielding, soil plays the primary factor, followed by water, air, and sunlight. So this precious resource needs to be managed very carefully to acquire better agricultural output in the future.
But how would you understand if the soil condition is good and crops can be grown there? The answer is easy because regular soil tests can be performed. You will also receive daily reports. You can also hire services from Smolders Geotechnical Engineering to test your soil and obtain classified reports.
Agricultural practices have become modern, and in that respect, soil testing is an essential requirement. It enables you to take care of fertilizer application and crop production. It is because, with no soil testing reports, you will find it challenging to determine the exact amount of fertilizers necessary to grow your crops.
Table of Contents
- Know About Why Soil Testing Is Important and Learn How People Carry Out Soil Testing.
- Soil Testing – Its Definition
- What are the objectives of soil testing?
- What benefits does soil testing offer?
- Why should farmers go for soil testing?
- How is soil testing carried out?
Know About why Soil Testing Is Important and Learn How People Carry Out Soil Testing
By regularly carrying out proper soil testing, you will have a clear idea about its quality. The better the quality of your soil, the better will be your agricultural output. If you own any piece of land that has been damaged for any reason whatsoever, you can also try revegetation.
If you are willing to learn about what role soil testing plays, you are on the right track. Through this article, you will know the various benefits it offers and how it’s carried out for acquiring optimum yielding. Let’s get started.
Soil Testing – Its Definition
Soil has various natural elements, including magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, sulfur, manganese, potassium, sodium, copper, and zinc. In the first step, they are done by removing these elements from the soil chemically. After this removal is done, the remaining contents are measured. This entire procedure is known as soil testing. This test makes the job for a farmer easier to check the requisite plant nutrients.
What Are The Objectives Of Soil Testing?
Soil testing is beneficial for farmers because it allows them to calculate the number of fertilizers required to grow crops. Collated here are several objectives of soil testing. Let’s check them out.
First of all, soil testing helps identify the nutrients available in the sample of the soil being tested. So it helps assess the fertility and nutrient status of the soil.
- It helps predict whether there are chances of getting a good response.
- It determines when you need to restore the soil fertility for growing productive, profitable, and sustainable crops.
- It helps determine different soil issues related to acidity, salinity, and alkalinity.
- It helps in evaluating whether the soil supports a particular crop.
- It helps in conducting a regular assessment of the fertility of the soil.
- It recommends how much fertilizer and manure you need to add based on the test and the crop value.
- Harvesting of crops makes the soil infertile. So soil testing allows for determining the number of nutrients that have been removed after harvesting.
- It gives suggestions on the soil supply, the efficiency of fertilizers, crop requirements, and contribution from manures.
- It helps in eliminating excessive use of fertilizers, thereby reassuring environmental safety.
What Benefits Does Soil Testing Offer?
Soil testing proves beneficial for farmers to understand its quality clearly. Collated here are several benefits offered by soil testing. They are as follows.
Soil testing helps acquire better decisions regarding using pesticides and fertilizers, thereby reducing risks like soil infertility and erosion. This will allow the farmers to enhance their long-term farming profits.
- It monitors the soil’s health properties, including pH, EC, and OC. This improves the crops’ nutrient availability and increases profits.
- It determines and yields the number of plant-available macronutrients present within the soil.
- You can also determine the requisite rate of fertilizers, along with the placement, product, and timing.
- It allows the farmers to identify the nutrients with the propensity to limit the crop yield.
- Farmers also get a basis for VRT (variable rate application). This parameter depends upon crop and soil.
- It allows optimizing the knowledge about what type of soil is present within the farm.
Soil testing is highly beneficial as it acts as an effective farm management tool for increasing yields. It also cuts operational costs, manages environmental risk, and inflates pest damage tolerance, thus helping increase growth.
Lastly, it helps improve in-season responsiveness.
Why Should Farmers Go For Soil Testing?
Soil testing plays a vital role in designing and building the process of crops. So to acquire the best results, farmers should undertake the procedure of soil testing. You must know that the soil testing cost depends on various factors. But it will not burn holes in your pocket, instead helping in inflating your profits. Some of the factors experts recommend farmers to go for soil testing are as follows.
- Soil testing informs them about whether the soil is healthy currently and what they can do to improve it.
- They will learn the limits of fertilization and prevent over-fertilizing.
- They can determine the ways to reduce fertilizer expenditure.
- They will learn about the techniques for preventing the degradation of soil.
They can decipher the fertility status of their soils and contribute to growing a greater number of crops. As a result, the farmers will be able to provide food for the ever-growing population of the world.
How Is Soil Testing Carried Out?
Soil testing is carried out exquisitely in labs. Mentioned below is the step-by-step procedure.
- Firstly, it involves collecting samples.
- Secondly, scientists prepare for analysis – physical and chemical.
- Thirdly, it involves interpreting the analysis results.
- Finally, recommending suitable fertilizers for growing crops.
Undertaking regular testing of soil offers the farmers many benefits. They can know whether or not their soil is in perfect health and if it will help in crop growth. If you are a farmer, you must begin with your testing prior to the harvesting season. It will be an excellent chance to enhance the quality of your soil so that you can improve crop yield.
Alex Grogoyan is a Professional Home Improvement and Lifestyle Writer. He has been in the industry for over 6 years and has been writing for Chique Home Living since 2019. His work has been featured in popular platforms such as Spruce Home, Better Homes & Garden, and more.