Going green may seem like a scary process because of the number of changes you’ll likely have to implement at your foodservice establishments. The foodservice industry can be complex because of the amount of trash and disposable dishware it creates.
But, just think about how by improving your restaurant’s daily operations, you could both reduce waste and cut costs in the long run! Did you know that more and more customers are concerned about the environment? What better way to appeal to the public than to make that move towards being a greener company.
There are options for any restaurant owner or manager who wants to get supplies that will not harm the environment. As a matter of fact, did you know that you can get environmentally friendly restaurant supplies in Vancouver with the click of a button? Read on below to learn more about some examples of eco-friendly food packaging supplies and their benefits:
Sugarcane bagasse is created from the fibrous pulp remains of the sugarcane plant. You can mold this pulp into any shape or product imaginable. The pulp is an ideal material for making to-go containers. Bagasse products are commercially compostable and biodegradable and require little energy to be produced, making them an easy way to reduce your establishment’s CO2 footprint. Sugarcane fibers can be used to make restaurant supplies such as bowls, plates, cups, and trays.
- Suitable for commercial composting and decomposition
- Ideal for both hot and cold foods
Wooden to-go boxes are an environmentally friendly alternative to conventional plastic containers because the materials which are used to make these types of containers could be reused if disposed of properly.
Carryout boxes made of wood are naturally resistant to bending or breaking, making them ideal for storing heavy meals. Wooden cutlery, plates, and bowls are also available, allowing you to serve your family meals in a more environmentally friendly way.
- Compostable and biodegradable in the commercial sector
- Capable of keeping cold foods cold
Polylactic acid (PLA) is a thermoplastic made from corn starch or sugarcane that is biodegradable. PLA containers are commercially compostable and have many properties which are similar to those that traditional plastic containers encompass. However, PLA packaging is more environmentally friendly. PLA is often utilized to make cups, bowls, and flatware.
- Suitable for commercial composting and decomposition
Paper Food Packaging
Due to their versatility and sustainability, paper food packaging is found in many eco-friendly establishments. Paper carryout boxes come in various colors and patterns, making it easy to add a little fun to the process of ordering takeout. Grease-resistant paper to-go boxes are available to keep oily or saucy food from leaking out. Disposable paper napkins, bags, cups, straws, and wraps are commonly included in delivery orders from environmentally-friendly restaurants.
- The packaging is ideal for both hot and cold foods.
Bamboo Paper Packaging
There has been a recent uptick in using items made from bamboo paper in the food service industry. Like disposable bamboo serving ware, bamboo paper containers are grease-resistant and can package hot or cold foods. They are naturally long-lasting and can withstand the weight of heavy foods and delivery services without losing their exceptional appearance.
- Can hold or keep food cold
There are countless steps that you can take at your restaurant to protect the environment and to go green. Some of these include:
- Using Environmentally Friendly Takeout Containers: Instead of using those traditional styrofoam or plastic takeout containers, try using wood, paper, bamboo, sugarcane bagasse, or PLA-based ones instead. It’s important to note that conventional takeout boxes are lined with plastic to prevent leaks, so when you’re looking at sustainable kitchen supplies, it’s essential to check and ensure that they will be able to hold the food items that you intend to use them for.
If you are looking for environmentally friendly Restaurant Supplies in Vancouver, then look no further than Patek Packaging. We offer an extensive selection of eco-friendly packaging products that can help reduce the amount of plastic tha your company uses.
- Bring Your Container (BYOC) Incentives: Your company could have incentives for customers who bring in their own containers for takeout. If you do decide to implement this program, ensure that you have proper health and safety protocols in place.
- Kitchen Supply: Vancouver’s long-term strategic vision is to be a city that produces zero waste by 2040. Take part in the reality of that vision by doing due diligence to find eco-friendly solutions for your restaurant. Using reusable utensils is a great way to reduce your environmental impact. Other types of environmentally friendly utensils which you could use include:
- Bamboo utensils: which are easily recyclable
- FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified products: which are made of recycled plastic.
- Ordering in Bulk: Sourcing products in bulk can save money and reduce packaging waste. Buying bulk ingredients from local suppliers is a great way to support your community and reduce the number of miles needed to transport goods. Be sure to look for suppliers that are knowledgeable in sustainable practices.
- Recycling: Recycle plastic and paper waste, as well as anything else that your local recycling center accepts, is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint. If it is necessary to separate your recycling, simply add separate bins and label them according to make it easier for everyone involved. You can also keep non-recyclables out of new recycling bins by posting a sign that indicates what can and cannot be recycled. You and your employees must be careful with recycling, as the recycling plant may not process your bins if items are sorted incorrectly.
Is Recycling Enough?
While recycling is an essential part of your waste management plan, you should also look into reducing the amount of waste sent to landfills by composting. You can start a commercial composting program with local authorities to recycle waste and/or to turn it into rich organic nutrients for plants.
Not sure where to start?
If you’re looking for trash bins, products, utensils, and food packaging supplies in Vancouver that are made from recycled materials, contact us at Patek Packaging now!