Did you know that 25.1 million adults have used online dating apps on their smartphones? It is no surprise why people are so inclined to try online dating nowadays. Why has the dating scene today changed significantly? Since the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of users on dating apps has skyrocketed like never before.
Tinder reported 66 million average monthly active users in 2020 and Match’s average subscribers increased about 13% in the last quarter of 2020. With coronavirus cases on the rise and a series of lockdowns, the conventional dating style isn’t even legal in some places right now, making more and more single adults consider online dating. What are the benefits of online dating, what to watch out for, and some quirky first date ideas? Let’s find out!
Benefits of online dating
- Easy to get started: Most dating apps and sites such as Hertfordshire Dating are user-friendly and easy to navigate. To find you right match for you, put some effort into creating an attention-grabbing profile that highlights your positive qualities.
- Convenience: After setting up your profile, you can view lots of profile within minutes from the comfort of your home and at you own pace! cool huh? At a party, it would take considerably more time to meet and converse with that many people. Also, think about the costs of going on dates and picking up bar tabs just the find that special someone. Video calls and virtuals dates make dating less time-consuming and more cost-effective.
- Makes you feel less shy: Approaching people the old-fashioned way is not easy for some people. To make an impression on a potential date, it is important to get the conversation flowing. If you’re feeling a little shy, then online dating will let you shine as it erases any awkwardness and tension caused by social interactions.
- Spoilt for choice: Let’s face it, we all like having options. With online dating, you can be picky if you want as you have a pool of available singles all in one place. This helps you meet like-minded people with similar values, cultures, spiritual beliefs, or interests. Dating sites such as Hertfordshire Dating helps you find local love hassle-free. Sign up now and get started!
What to watch out for
- Transparency: Always have it in mind that regardless of how good a person’s profile looks or how genuine they seem, until you meet them in person it could be anyone behind a smartphone or computer. It is crucial to keep your guards up, be cautious of the information you share, and make people earn your trust. The last thing you want to do is assume people will always tell the truth, do your research about a potential date before meeting him/her.
- Unlimited options: Having an unlimited pool of potential dates can be a good thing but also a drawback when it comes to online dating. These many options could make it difficult to find someone who is who’s willing to commit. This can also make people dissatisfied with their ultimate decision or find it unable to make a choice at all due to being overwhelmed by many options.
- Overemphasis on physical appearance: While physical attraction has always been important in the dating scene, dating sites that present only profile pictures and a brief bio for users to evaluate prompts people to place an overemphasis on looks.
Quirky first date ideas
- Take a cooking class online: This is a great virtual date idea especially with the lockdown restrictions in some places. Take a cooking or baking class with your date and learn to prepare something new, perhaps an international cuisine.
- Have a picnic with a scenic view: Picnics are always so much fun and relaxing. Not only is a picnic very romantic, but it is also a less expensive first date. Head over to the farmers market or your local grocery store and shop for fruits or ingredients for the food you want to prepare. Before planning one, check the weather on the day you plan your date around to make sure it doesn’t rain or become too windy.
- Go on a road trip: Sponetenous road trips are always a good idea. Are you and your date free-spirited? Hop on the car, fill your tank, and hit the road with or without a destination. Play some good old music from your favorite albums as it’s a great way to learn more about each other.
- Look over the city through a helicopter: Renting a helicopter isn’t as expensive as most people think. If your budget allows and you want to impress your date, then this might be the perfect first date option for you.