Carpets can be so nice for your whole home. They have a way of adding new texture in, sprucing up the room with some more color, and making it warm and comfortable. But daily use of the carpets, from you walking across to pets leaving dirt and grime behind, and even your teenager walking in with their muddy shoes, can cause stains, trapping dust, and make the carpets a mess. With the right cleaning done ahead of time, it is possible to keep the carpets clean so they will last for a long time.
Vacuuming the Floor
The first step to consider is how to vacuum the area of the floor in the right manner to get as much dirt and grime picked up. Some of the tips to remember to make your carpets thoroughly vacuumed include:
- Prepare the room or the area you would like to vacuum. Make sure to move all of the cords and furniture that are in the way.
- Vacuum the carpet often to make sure that they will last. Some families will need to do this every day, but at least a few times a week is good.
- Use your vacuum attachments to make sure that you get all of the corners.
- Vacuum in two directions for the best results.
Choosing a vacuum that has rotating bristles on it will be a good option when you want to really lift up all of the dirt stuck in the carpets.
Choosing the Cleaning Solution
Homeowners need to use caution when it comes to choosing the right floor cleaner. There are some that do a great job, but many that will cause a number of issues to the carpet and could end up running them. You should read the label on the product you are interested in to see whether it is safe for your type of carpets.
You can also run a test to see if it is safe. Put the cleaner on a small area of the carpet and then test to see if it ruins the carpet or not. If it is changing the color of the carpet, then you will need to pick a different cleaning solution
Pre-Treat the Stains
It is a good idea for you to pre-treat the stains and some of the high-traffic areas that are in your home to make sure that you can get all of the stains out. To do this:
- Test the cleaner that you would like to use to make sure it will not ruin the carpet.
- Spray the cleaner onto your stain and then blot with a clean towel. You may need to gently rub this area with a scrub brush if the stain is stuck in quite a bit.
- Repeat this process until the stain is gone. If you have a very difficult stain, then you may need to do this process more than once.
Begin the Steam Cleaning
If you have a home that tends to get a lot of stains in it, then it may be a good idea to buy or rent your own carpet cleaner. You can find quite a few portable carpet cleaners that are easy to use and will make sure that your carpets do not hold onto all of the dirt and grime of before. There are options that will work well for many different types of homes. Read through the instructions before you decide to use that steam cleaner at all.
When you are ready, use some hot water, along with a small amount of the cleaner you would like to use, and begin using it to clean the carpet with the steam cleaner. Go slowly front to back to get it nice and clean.
Keep in mind that the machine is designed to push out the water as you move forward and pull the water back up as you go back over it again. This is why you will want to do both directions on the same spot. Pulling the water back up will protect the carpets and make sure that mildew and mold do not come back.
Take your time with the steam cleaner as much as possible. This will help you to get deep into the fibers of the carpet and also pick up all of the water to ensure that it is not going to get into the carpets and cause problems. Once you are done though, allow the rest of the carpet time to dry for a few minutes or longer based on the size of the room.
When you are done, go back over the area one more time with your vacuum to make sure that the carpet is dust free. You can then return all of the items back to the area that they originally were in so the room can be back to normal. You can also remove any of the plastic that you added under the furniture to keep it safe.
Things to Remember When Carpet Cleaning
Some of the tips that you should remember when you do a carpet cleaning of your home includes:
- Always keep up with regular vacuuming to make sure that your carpets are protected the whole time.
- Give the stains on the carpet some special care and attention to avoid them getting stuck.
- Experiment with different cleaning solutions to make sure that you are able to keep the carpets clean without ruining them.
- For a deep clean that is going to last a long time, consider hiring professional carpet cleaners to come into your home and get the work done right the first time.
While there are many things that you can do to your carpets to keep them clean and fresh all the time, nothing is better for your carpets than having a professional come and give you a deep clean of every room of your home.
At Steam Smart Pro, we are here to help, providing professional quality carpet cleaning, no matter how many rooms are in your home. Contact us today to get started.