Teeth can be stained by numerous things, such as coffee, tea, red wine, cigarettes, and even some medications.
While some people can keep their teeth white with regular brushing and flossing, others may struggle to get rid of superficial stains.
If you’re looking for ways to effectively whiten your teeth without spending a lot of money or time, here are 11 helpful tips.
1. Brush with activated charcoal
Activated charcoal is a natural way to absorb toxins and impurities in the mouth, leaving teeth looking brighter. Be sure to spit it out after brushing, as activated charcoal can be abrasive if swallowed.
2. Drink lots of water
Drinking plenty of water throughout the day is not only good for your health, but it’s also good for your teeth! Water helps rinse food particles and bacteria that can cause staining and decay.
3. Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables
Eating crunchy fruits and vegetables like apples, celery, and carrots is a great way to scrub away surface stains on teeth naturally. The act of chewing also helps increase saliva production, which naturally helps to remove bacteria and food particles that may cause plaque buildup on teeth.
4. Eat foods that contain fluoride
Fluoride is a mineral that helps strengthen tooth enamel, making it more resistant to staining and decay. Many foods contain fluoride, including:
5. Practice good dental and oral hygiene
Of course, one of the best ways to prevent tooth stains is to practice good dental and oral hygiene. This means brushing twice daily, flossing once a day, and using mouthwash. It’s equally important to see your dentist regularly for professional cleanings.
6. Rub with a banana peel
Banana peel contains minerals like potassium, manganese, and magnesium, which can help whiten teeth. To use, rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth for two minutes, then rinse with water. This helps whiten yellow teeth.
7. Try oil pulling
Oil pulling is an ancient practice that involves swishing oil (coconut oil is recommended) around in your mouth for 20 minutes before spitting it out. This helps to remove bacteria and toxins from your mouth, leaving your teeth looking sparkling clean.
8. Use apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is known for its stain-removing properties. Mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water, then wet your toothbrush. Gently brush your teeth for two minutes, then rinse with water.
9. Use baking soda
Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent used to clean teeth. Simply wet your toothbrush, dip it in baking soda, and brush away!
You can also make a paste out of baking soda and water and use it like you would toothpaste. To make a paste, mix one tablespoon of baking soda with two tablespoons of water.
10. Use hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent that can remove deep-set stains on teeth. Simply mix equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water and swish around in your mouth for 1 to 2 minutes before spitting it out. Do this once a day for the best results.
11. Use teeth whitening products
There are a lot of teeth whitening products on the market today. From toothpaste to strips, mouthwash to LED kits, there are many options to choose from.
- Whitening strips: These are thin strips coated with hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide – two bleaching agents that help remove deep-set stains on teeth.
- LED kits: These kits are another popular choice and typically come with a mouthpiece that emits LED light. This helps to accelerate the whitening process by breaking down hydrogen peroxide into oxygen molecules.
- Whitening toothpaste: These are not the regular toothpaste that most people use. Whitening toothpaste usually contain abrasives that help to remove surface stains on teeth. They usually also contain fluoride to help strengthen tooth enamel. Be sure to follow the instructions on the packaging carefully to avoid damaging your enamel.
- Mouthwashes: These are another great way to remove bacteria and food particles from teeth and help with bad breath. Some mouthwashes also contain peroxide or other bleaching agents to help with stain removal.
To ensure safety, you can also opt for in-office teeth whitening. Having your teeth professionally whitened by a dentist is one of the fastest and most effective ways to achieve brighter teeth.
Everyone wants white teeth, but nobody wants to spend a lot of time or money getting one. Thankfully, there are plenty of ways you can naturally and effortlessly achieve whiter teeth from the comfort of your home.
From common kitchen staples like baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to unexpected ingredients like banana peels and activated charcoal, there’s bound to be a method that works for you!
Try out a few of these techniques until you find the perfect combination for brightening up those pearly whites. You’ll have your beautiful smile in no time.